CaBA Forum

CaBA Discussions area
  1. Marc Naura
  2. Announcements
  3. Wednesday, July 19 2017, 12:42 PM
  4.  Subscribe via email

The River Restoration Centre is organising a River Habitat Survey certification course on the 8-11 August in Cardiff (for more information see attached programme).

The River Restoration Centre (RRC) is now running the RHS certification course previously advertised on the RHS website (www.riverhabitatsurvey.org). The course has been running for the past 2 years and it has proved popular amongst consultancies and charities.The Environment Agency (EA) is only providing accreditation to a handful of external consultants now due to resource constraints so they are happy for the RRC to run a separate certification although they cannot endorse external courses for legal reasons. Our aim is to promote RHS as a tool for understanding river and catchment hydromorphology and for helping practitioners set targets for river restoration and monitoring. We will be developing decision support tools for doing that. We will be running RHS certifications to the same standard as the EA but it will not be recognised by the EA (i.e. certified surveyors will not be able to bid for EA work).

Following a request from a consultant and the Tyne’s River Trust, we are organising a RHS certification course on the 8-11th August in Cardiff. We will be running it at reduced cost for RT members, provided we get enough people to fill the course. The course fee will be £550 per person including room hire, lunches (4 days) and training material print-outs. We can also do a group B&B booking on site for £35.25 per night (£176.25 for 5 nights assuming people arrive the day before the start). We will need to make use of individual cars as a cost reduction measure.

As part of the course. I will give a presentation of applications and a demonstration of the new RHS database I have just developed for inputting data, calculating RHS and hydromorphological indices and running HQA context analysis. I will tailor the presentation based on needs. We can even have short practice sessions on specific case studies such as WFD assessment, HQA analysis etc.

The course will be run to the same standards as the EA accreditation and there will be a written and field test in the end. The certification is valid for three years, at which point we will require surveyor to attend a short refresher course.

Please fill in the following online form https://goo.gl/forms/PiIXzEEkeiPCNoXQ2if you are interested and I would be grateful if you could pass this message on to anyone potentially interested.

For more information see the attached programme for the course.

Marc Naura

Attachments (1)
  Cardiff CF23 5YB, UK
Visit 
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Marc Naura Accepted Answer

Ashraf,

Thanks, I have created a post on the RHS websiteand we will advertise it through the RRC website today.

Best wishes

Marc

Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Announcements
  3. # 1
Ashraf Accepted Answer

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply.

The PDF is the one attached to the announcement and called the "RHS certification training info August 2017". In the last page ofthis pdf and after equipment section, you have the section "If you want more information about the River Habitat Survey, please consult the information and documents available on the River Habitat Survey website at www.riverhabitatsurvey.org." this link just leads to the web page, but nothing indicated about the course.

Ashraf, cheers

Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Announcements
  3. # 2
Marc Naura Accepted Answer

Hi Ashraf,

The course is not advertised on the RHS website because we are only inviting Rivers Trust and Catchment Partnership people.

Which link in the pdf does not work?

Please send the attached document and link to the google form to members of your organisation.

Thanks

Marc

Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Announcements
  3. # 3
Ashraf Accepted Answer

Hi Marc,

The link for the details provided in the pdf is not working and the course is not even announced in the River Habitat Survey/events.

Is it possible to update the data in the home page so I can send it to interested people in my organisation?

Regards,

Ashraf

Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Announcements
  3. # 4
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.

ABOUT

The Catchment-Based Approach website is designed to showcase the work of catchment partnerships aross England and Wales and to encourage the sharing and adoption of best practice in stakeholder-led catchment managment planning, delivery and evaluation.
Email: info@catchmentbasedapproach.org

Get all the latest news from across the CaBA community